The thought of a massage to most men conjures up visions of being pampered and using fruity smelling oils and crèmes while being half naked in a towel and cucumbers over your eyes. It doesn’t seem or sound very masculine. But in reality, male massage therapy has multiple benefits, some specific to men and it may be just what they need.
It has been found in studies that men tend to pent up more stress and worries, whereas women are more likely to share them. This indicates that men are both physically and mentally tense. Irritability and trouble sleeping are interchangeable with anxiety, and massage therapy can help a man relax and ease out tension in the muscles.
Click Here to know more about physiotherapy in north york
Men who work in very physical jobs as well as men who drive long distances may have particular need for a massage. Physical jobs that include a heavy load of lifting or being active all day, can tire muscles and even damage them. A daily massage can release lactic acid, relaxing muscles to ensure that problems don’t develop and continue on for the next day. The same goes for men who work jobs that require them to be still, such as car drivers. Since they sit on one position for hours on end every day, the lack of moment can be harmful to their muscles.
A massage is more than just indulgent; it has many benefits towards a man’s health:
• Neck Pain- Men with chronic neck pain reported a 55 percent improvement after massage therapy treatment. (2009 study in the Clinical Journal of Pain).
• Athletic Performance- Musculotendinous" massages target muscle-tendon junctions, and a 2010 study in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that even a 30-second round improved hip-flexor range of motion. In addition, a 2010 study from Sweden, one 80-minute hand-and-foot massage significantly lowered people's heart rates, cortisol levels, and insulin levels, all of which help lower stress.
• Depression- Massage therapy can reduce stress hormone levels, heart rate, and blood pressure, and boost mood and relaxation by triggering the release of oxytocin and serotonin. (2010 meta-analysis in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry)
• High Blood Pressure- Common massage techniques can help men relax, and trigger an endorphin release that raises their threshold for pain. (2009 meta-analysis in the journal Spine)
• Constipation- A 2009 Swedish study discovered men who received a massage along with traditional constipation treatment felt significantly better than those who used laxatives.
If you are a man and you are looking for a way to relieve pain, stress, improve health and wellness, and improve over-all health, try adding massage therapy to a routine wellness plan. Our massage therapists at Triangle Physiotherapy can be a powerful ally when combating daily stress, muscle pain, and general health issues when it comes to men. Not only does massage therapy relieve stress, ongoing it can reduce pain, increase energy levels, and improve overall physical and mental performance. Our experienced, professional massage therapists at Triangle Physiotherapy at our five locations, Physiotherapy Etobicoke, Physiotherapy Oakville, Physiotherapy Mississauga, Physiotherapy Toronto, and Physiotherapy Kings West customize every massage session to address your individual needs.